The Global Partners Committee was created in 2015 when Emmanuel United Church (EUC) expanded its relationships with other Christian communities in the world to include the Chipembi United Church of Zambia congregation at the Chipembi Mission Station in Zambia. Previously, our existing relationship with Iglesia Bautista Emmanuel in San Salvador, El Salvador was guided by the Salvadoran Liaison Committee at EUC, a descendant of the former Emmanuel El Salvador Associates Committee, formed at EUC in 1987 to sponsor two Salvadoran refugee families who had to flee El Salvador's Civil War.
The Global Partners Committee contributes to the mission and work of Emmanuel United Church in the following five areas:
- Including the Ottawa Salvadoran community associated with Emmanuel United Church in the life of the church;
- Deepening our 25+ year spiritual partnership with Iglesia Bautista Emmanuel of San Salvador;
- Advocating within Canada for systemic change in the economic, social and political situations in El Salvador:
- Aiding in the spiritual and educational development of children and young people and in the development of healthy and sustainable families and communities in Chipembi; and
- Reporting regularly and providing learning activities about the issues facing our partners in El Salvador and Zambia and about our activities undertaken with our partners.